Tuesday, January 17, 2017

New workhorse - navy capri pants

There was a little under a metre of fabric left after making this dress, just enough to make a pair of capri pants.

Using a tried and tested self-made trouser pattern, I shortened it by 30cm, curving the hems at the side seam for a bit of interest. To put them on, the pocket opens out, then buttons close. Easy-peasy.
Necessary, but not exciting sewing.

I didn't explain the pocket closure very well, did I? Will a few more pictures help?
(Apologises for the fluff. Washed with a tissue, grrrh!)
I also found a very old pattern with quite good diagrams instructions.

See, it's really quite simple!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

It's not you, it's me - floral skirt fail

It started life as a 50's inspired frock.
But it wasn't working for me.
"Maybe lose the bodice and make it a skirt", I thought.

But it still it's still not right.
The problem was the dress was something I would have worn a decade ago, (and why I had difficulty finishing it in 2011) but the skirt regressed it even further - back to the clothes I made for myself in high school. 
No, just—no.
Finished, it will be heading to charity soon.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Southern India

Images from my travels to Southern India (Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu) and Gujarat 2015-16.
To see more, go to a kiwi in india

Ayana’s Homestay, Alleppey (http://www.ayanashomestay.com/) - highly recommend

Kerala spiced fish - yummy!

Zigzag blouse - vintage Simplicity 3120 (©1959)

Making notes of fitting changes made to patterns is a habit I really need to get into. I have a notebook for this purpose, which has been used, though clearly not as often as it needs to be. Here's the perfect example of how it all can go so wrong when it's not written down.
I used vintage Simplicity 3120 to make this lovely dress earlier this year. The dress is super comfortable and gets heaps of compliments, so I decided to re-use the pattern to make a blouse out of a piece of cotton purchased through TradeMe ($7 for 1.2m + bits). Thinking I didn't make any fitting alterations to the pattern, I cut out just the bodice pieces (and the sleeves this time), adding 20cm to the hem curving upwards towards the side seams like I did for the Crêpe de Chine blouse.
It went together so swimmingly I didn't bother trying it on until I'd finished - I'd already made it once, so it should be ok, right?

Wrong, so wrong. The back neck gapped. Whaaaaat! How did that happen? So I hummed-and-hawed for a bit, then decided really I didn't care enough to unpick and re-cut it, instead coming up with a cunning plan to run a gathering stitch through the neck edge by hand. It took about a minute, and I actually quite like the finished effect. See for yourself in the lower right image.

So once again Jeannie Gandar's saying "Make a feature out of a flaw" has paid gold.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Look who stopped by - Kārearea (New Zealand Falcon)

Sheltering in a tree from the heavy rain on Saturday morning, right outside my living room window.  According to the NZ Falcon Survey, "Looks like a male falcon, probably a juvenile from this season’s breeding, just starting to ‘colour up’ to adult."
Very exciting!

Thursday, August 4, 2016

K. Walker silk and vintage Butterick 9698 (©1960) blouse

Every once in a while I give-in to temptation and purchase a piece of fabric off TradeMe. I do think long and hard before bidding though, because I've noticed there's a bit of ignorance about what fibres some fabrics are made from, and colours can be very different, depending how they've been photographed. I hummed and haa-ed about this piece of Crêpe de Chine until the very last moment before bidding because, although it was listed as silk, it definitely looked like polyester. Happily, it is silk.
At only 80cm (×140cm wide), I needed to think carefully about what to make as there was no room for error. Finally I settled on a blouse using just the bodice pieces of Butterick 9698. I added 20cm to the bottom to make it a better length for a blouse, curving upwards towards the side seams like a men's shirt hem.
Unfortunately, there wasn't enough fabric to cut bias bind for the neck edge on Version A, so I went for the bagged out and topstitched Version B. Next time I'd like to make Version A though, because binding will add a bit more definition to the button overlap. From a distance this looks like a fairly run-of-the-mill v-neck blouse with an odd, slightly off centre button. It's only when you come in a bit closer you see whats actually going on.

And speaking of buttons, 20¢ from the Mary Potter Hospice shop in Kilbirnie. These days if I can't find something in the stash, this is the first place I look. They have a great variety of vintage buttons, the tricky bit is finding enough of the same ones to complete a project!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Hat, hat and a scarf...

Gosh, where did 3 months go? Time flies...
I've been busy with a new craft - crochet. I spend about a hour on public transport to and from work Monday to Friday, which just feels like such a lot of wasted time. Crochet seemed like a solution to while away the hours without encroaching too much on my fellow commuters'. So at Easter break I set myself up with a couple of balls of wool, a size 4.5mm hook and a bunch of YouTube tutorials.
Crochet is much easier than I thought it would be, and the big bonus is it takes very little time to complete a project, even just spending one hour, five days a week on it. The two Starburst berets each took about a week and a bit, the scarf about three and a half weeks (because I unpicked it and started again with a larger 5.5mm hook. Plus I changed the pattern slightly).
Plus there are two beanies and a pair of fingerless gloves not photographed because they're gifts - shhhh!

All wool was purchased at Holland Road Yarn Company.