Thursday, May 2, 2019

Silk chiffon tunic for summer - New Look 6803

Not usually a fan of chiffon, $6 for 2+ metres of green and black silk seemed like a bargain at Fabric-a-Brac. Belatedly, I discovered why - there was a white mis-print stripe right down in the middle, more than 20cm long. Had to be crafty cutting around it.


After stiffening the silk with gelatin, making it much easier to handle, I cut New Look 6803 view D, plus some button-back tabs to hold the sleeves when rolled up (although now the gelatin has washed out, they don't stay rolled for long).


Definitely another success, however, if I use this pattern again I'll shorten the centre front opening by about 12cm - not because it was indecent, but because the big open edges flap about in my peripheral vision like a moth! Adding a dickie (or modesty panel) closed the gap this time, putting an end to swatting at 'moths' under my chin.
Graphania plena (Green Carpet Owlet) image from here - http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/moths.html

No comments: