Wednesday, April 20, 2022

P3 – Pants Pattern Perfection

P3 pants - Pants Pattern Perfection self-drafted pattern
P3 pants – self drafted pattern

Way back in 2017, I was on a mission to create the perfect fitting pants. While I admit I still haven’t cracked it, with this latest pattern draft I’m about as close to it as I think I can get. So I’m stamping it FINAL.


The pattern pieces look so misshapen compared to a regular pattern (eg, baby-got-back, who knew?), but the resulting fit speaks for itself. Most of drag lines are gone, and they are snug without being tight. The test is sitting - yes, I can, comfortably. I should add I’ve also converted the pattern from stretch fabrics to plain weave fabrics, as these are my preference.


For this final version, I’ve gone with a convention trouser style by moving the zip to the centre front with a fly, added side pockets, and created a shaped waistband with belt loops.


Made in another lite-weight wool fabric score from the Sallies for $3, it’s midnight blue with a self-stripe. Once again, they are lined to the knee.


Very, very happy with the results, and glad I persevered, even if its taken 5 years to get here!

No comments: