Thursday, April 23, 2020

Covid Coat - Butterick 3308


Now I'm into the swing of "Bubble" life, I've got my sewing mojo back, and have to say it's lovely making things at a leisurely pace.
Noticing houndstooth coats and jackets popping up on Pinterest and fashion sites, I knew I had a blue and black piece in the stash somewhere... another gift from my mother.
Wool acrylic, it's super soft, but because of it's loose weave was an absolute pain to cut and handle. Therefore, I chose a basic pattern - Butterick 3308, (another Sallies score for 20¢) and pretty much fused the whole thing to stabllise it. The two changes I made to the pattern were lengthening the jacket by 45cm to coat length and elimitating the button fly front. Later, I added a tie belt.

A little underwhelmed during the construction process, it wasn't until the sleeves went in that I fell in love with it.
Will have to wait a while to wear it though - maybe a return to work at Level 2? (I'm fortunately able to work from home at the moment).
Or, Formal Friday, anyone?

No comments: