Thursday, January 30, 2020

Striped T-Shirt dress - vintage '80's Vogue 7338


One of the easiest garment I've made in years.
The striped cotton rugby knit fabric was made at Manawatu Knitting Mills in the 1980's; the pattern from around the same era picked up last year in St Vinnies. My mother gave me this fabric plus two other pieces in different colourways when she retired her stash. I'm tempted to make them all up the same.
Using View C, pin the pockets to the front and back pattern pieces to cut all-in-one, and lengthen the hem and the sleeves as much as the fabric will allow. Instead of using the patterns facings, cut a strip about 4cm wide by 60cm long to use as a neck binding. During construction, ignore the shoulder pleats.
If I do use this pattern again, next time I'll move the pockets up a couple of centimetres. Without a belt or tie they're just a fraction too low.
So basic, yet so comfortable.