It seems a bit ridiculous making a wool jacket (Burda 7255) at the moment because its still very warm here for this time of year, but the jacket was going together like a dream – until the end – when I put it on the mannequin and realised it lacked a little something...
Taking a break, and catching up on some of last seasons Mad Men (new season starts soon!), I spied this:
My eyes flicked between Beth and the mannequin - that’s it! That jacket needs some fur!
So off to Spotlight I went the next morning and bought 30cm (12 inches) of fur in the closest colour - teddybear fur.
I re-cut the top collar out of fur making it a little bigger all round than the original, then fused some lining for the backing cutting it just slightly smaller than the fur. After sewing the two halves together (great tips for sewing fake fur here), I slipped the new fur collar over the orginal one and slipstitched it in place, so it can easily be removed for cleaning.
There was enough fur left over for cuffs as well (and maybe a little ted one day...)
Now, I know ir’s not a dress, but I thought it would be fun to enter it in the lovely Julia’s Mad Men challenge.
The challenge required I submit a photo of myself wearing the garment. Not being one to take or post selfies, nevertheless I shortened my hair, got myself dolled up and here it is:
Awkward! - and melting - 22°C (about 72°F) at time of photo
- it’s nearly May, for goodness sakes!
The hat was made by nana (she was a milliner) and a bit too fragile to wear anymore. The handbag is also from her. Gloves from Molly N.
If you look closely at the buttonholes, you’ll see I trialled a new technique called Spanish Snap Buttonholes. Easy, peasy! I’ve a tutorial here.